Minelord

Regarding the state of the server

Yesterday, in IRC, the current state of the main server came up as a discussion topic. As you all k…
FlavorFlavor Lord
edited December 2014 in Announcements Posts: 34
Yesterday, in IRC, the current state of the main server came up as a discussion topic. As you all know, it's unlikely that bukkit will be updated anytime in this lifecycle so we have two options if we want to update to 1.8: either we go full vanilla or we switch to SpigotMC. Windy said he was gonna check out Spigot so for now I'd like to discuss another thing that came up.

A fresh start. Should we wipe the survival map (obviously keeping a backup of the old one, if possible) for 1.8? A couple of people expressed interest in this matter so it all comes down to the people who still play survival rather often on the server.

That's pretty much all I wanted to say. As for my opinion, Spigot would certainly help keep the server the way it is at the moment and I'm all for a fresh map.

Comments

• Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    my builds aren't SUPER hard to replicate, so i wouldn't mind the wipe, and i'm all for giving spigot a try.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    ozzieozzie Sir
    I'm cool with a fresh start, Vanilla works fine for me too - although I would request the usage of TNT and fire if it could be controlled (for tunnel cutting, mining and excess tree removal)
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    PsiPsi Lord
    I'm all for a fresh start. We should create a new flat- and creative world too. Also if Worldpainter has been updated for 1.8 we could make a custom map for towny too :D
  • Vote Up2Vote Down
    moomoohkmoomoohk Lord
    i'm fine with whatever as long as backups of the current world are kept somewhere

most of my stuff *is* super hard to replicate

and of course the memories and posterity etc etc
    o boi i luv segnatshures

[03:35am] Minelord: [g] Sir Mish: what are biggie smalls
    -
    [00:55:56] <Mish> she ain't hot
    [00:56:02] <Mish> just cleevage
    -
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    I'm alright with whatever is decided, I'll probably never replicate some of my stuff because it took waaaay too long to get materials the first time.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    More or less what moo said, yeh.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DavidSlainDavidSlain Lord
    I'm down for finding a new world to live in. It's just too easy with the old one.
    mcDesc
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    KoozmaKoozma Lady
    I'm down for a fresh start, been saying it for a while in passing. My city I can start again, maybe I'll actually have a layout in mind and contract workers ;)

I also think what we should do is for public put up an announcement on changes happening, maybe even warn of a restart for that world(cause I don't know how many people that were there early on still play) and then implement a new system for member making.
    Granted, this idea would mean we need to have mods keeping tabs in public regularly (we all dropped the ball after a while) and the only way to be whitelisted for official is by code of conduct for an undetermined amount of time on top of maybe the application system we have.
    I don't know what this Spigot is capable of in comparison to Bukkit in terms of watching greefers (IE the block check system where you could see who changed/opened what block last and when) but this could be a good and better way of letting decent people in to the main server. (this is how we got Ally and co. after all.)
    Give me the cookies, alllllloftheeeemmmmm.... image
  • Vote Up5Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,110
    I think I'm close to something that works as it did before, but using SpigotMC.

My suggestion is this:

- Run a SpigotMC server (separately) that has our old settings (whitelist, permissions, Lordships and Ladyships etc) but with a new single survival map.
    - Suggest which worlds to keep as museum worlds.

and gradually do the following:

- add some old worlds back as museum worlds (no editing)
    - add a new flatworld
    - replace the main server running at the default port (25565) with this one

If you think that sounds good, please upvote this post,
    and reply to it mentioning which worlds you'd like to see preserved,
    as well as any plugins you absolutely must have.

You can visit the SpigotMC (1.8.1) test server at minelord.com:25567
    but remember that I can't guarantee that things will stay around!
    Edited
    by Windy
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    PsiPsi Lord
    I guess we can make the change in an instant and not gradually change things, since right now we don't have too many active players.

It would make sense to have the survival and the flatworld as museum worlds. We'd then need to start out with fresh worlds likes those again. Great plugins would be Essentials, Towny, Creeperheal, Disguise, Worldedit and Voxelsniper (and my sitting plugin, which apparently still works anyway :D).

Once Worldpainter gets fully updated for 1.8 and I have a PC again, I'd like to make a new map which we could use for Towny, if people are interested?
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    I can't and won't replace our main server without a working Spigot setup.

Please check the spigot server at minelord.com:25567 when you can to see what works and what doesn't. I wish I could do it myself but time is short on my side!

The Spigot server currently has Essentials, Towny (for TNT healing), Worldedit and a few other plugins.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    PsiPsi Lord
    What I meant just switch it when everything runs on the Spigot server. I didn't mean it that we should change it right now, just when everything works as we'd like it.
    I can't really test it myself currently since I lack a proper PC. Going to have a new one probably mid January though...
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    I'll try to get things shipshape whenever I can spare time :)

Oh, do we need Deadbolt or something similar?
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    Security good, trust better.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DavidSlainDavidSlain Lord
    Sorry @Glunnator:

Trust Good, Security Better, DRINK! Bah!
    mcDesc
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    KnucisKnucis Lord
    Yup, sure, fresh start!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    Archmage199Archmage199 Player
    A fresh start sounds like great timing since I just joined and it was a bit daunting coming into a massive world and trying to find a space for myself. I haven't built anything yet, so I'm all for a new map.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    Really sorry about going silent. It's an intense exam period for me and what time I found I put into updating this website (a critical security update was released, which forced me to do a major forum software update).

I'll look into this as soon as I can. Most of the work has been done though, so if @Thijn or @Psi could look into it that would be awesome!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    edited February 2015 Posts: 1,110
    Hey guys, do check out the server at minelord.com:25567

At the moment I've set up user permissions and two worlds, spawn and survival.

Sirs/Dames and above can teleport to the spawn world using
    /mvtp spawn
    Let's build an amazing spawn area with @Glunnator leading the charge!

Spoiler:
    To return to the survival world, type...
    /mvtp survival

And do let me know if there are any issues whatsoever so I can attend to them
    Edited
    by Glunnator
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    FORWAAARD
    Alright, here's an idea, the immediate spawn area is the inside of a middle-to-large cathedral or similar, maybe with the word 'REBORN' plastered across your vision as you first jump in, and when you step outside a few rings of more rural-esque village huts and houses, semi-medieval style, surrounding that cathedral, and then those houses surrounded by a ring of more modern constructs and so on until we've got this tiny holy place surrounded by the inevitable hyperfuturistic skyscrapers and monorails a la Gotham City from Batman Beyond. And then.. and then...
    Or maybe something simpler? Whatever. Just build something nice.