Minelord

Minelord DF Succession Game

This is the official thread for those [s]masochists[/s] brave dwarves that want a chance to prove t…
MesmeratioMesmeratio Lord
edited February 2014 in Other RP Posts: 203
This is the official thread for those masochists brave dwarves that want a chance to prove themselves the most insane greatest overseer and carve themselves a place between pictures of a ruby water buffalo cheese menacing with quarzite spikes the great dwarven ancestors of old!

In all dwarfiness, these are the rules:

1. Every overseer has the fortress from one spring to the next, upon which the savegame is transferred to the next overseer.
2. You actually have to name a dwarf after you and make him mayor.
3. Make pictures of your progress/mayhem/elephant attacks/carvings of elves being slaughtered, post them here and give us a nice story to read (hence the rp-section).
4. I usually play with the Phoebus' graphics pack to make thing more pleasing to the eye, if you do not like this because you're supahdupahflyhardcore, figure it out yourself, I'll just dump my entire DF folder on dropbox/rapidshare whatever.
5. A small hint regarding fortress management. Dwarf Therapist is a good program to get an overview of all your dwarves and what labors they have enabled, as the native U.I. is far from, well, practical. I'd strongly recommend it, unless you're desperate for fun.

For those that are somewhat confused (and thus a good overseer-candidate), Dwarf Fortress is a rogue strategy basebuilding game revolving around (you guessed it) a dwarven fortress. More information can be found at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ or the wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/

For an example of what a 'fun' succession game should look like, refer to the boatmurdered epic: http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/

List of Overseers, in order of appearance:

1. @Mesmeratio
2. @Glunnator
3. @Mish
4. @Psi
5. [your name here? grab a pickaxe and fight it out. Or contact me]
Edited
by Mesmeratio
Hail @Windy for the FTB server. If disagree, ice titans.

Comments

• Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    We dwarves from the Minelord clan have long been planning a Minelord mansion fortress. But as with most young male dwarves living in a comfortable society, this plan hasn't come to fruits yet because of.. well who knows?

However, one day some of us said "Nay, no more postponing and procastrinating! We leave tomorrow for the jungle to make this fortress happen!". And thus we left 2 weeks later, on our way to seek our fortune.

Spoiler:

We did bring some supplies, but our money was limited. We managed to buy two dogs and a cat. From the remainder of our money I bought geese. This was my personal idea. Some of us didn't agree and had rather seen we spent our money on more food or picks. I say they cannot plan ahead.

Our late expedition leader believed a volcano to be the best spot to make a fortress. The volcano site was inhabitable, and instead of digging like we were ordered to we thought it a good idea to throw the expedition leader into the volcano. Then we set out to find something more hospitable, with yours truly as the new and charming expedition leader.

After a long journey, we finally arrived at a suitable spot.

Spoiler:

"Mines of Doom" I called the place. I thought it imposing. Some thought it tasteless. They have been sent to the mines.

Spoiler:

The wildlife seems to be plenty. I hope they will not pose a problem. I guess I'd better craft a crossbow soon.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I ordered the miners to dig in this pattern, insisting everything should be symmetrical for maximum efficiency and aesthetics.

Spoiler:

The miners - while digging out my pretty pattern - instead uncovered an expansive underground cavern beneath our feet. I ordered them to dig somewhat higher and hope it doesn't bring us too much trouble.

Spoiler:

I mean, how bad could it be?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

"'E wot"
    "'Es shootin' giant keas."
    "Tha's pa'amount ta treasin innit! Lop 'is 'ead orf toot sweet."

I've decided democracy will not be the best course for this fortress.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Some migrants arrived today, as well as a kobold thief. They had a friendly introduction.

Spoiler:

I've decided on a ditch to protect us against further attacks. Once I saw the significant amount of claystone I thought it a good idea to order walls and fortifications built as well.

Spoiler:

The miners and artists did quite a job on the central hall. I assigned a manager to the new office built in the top right corner.

Spoiler:

The bedroom level isn't done yet, but at least there are enough rooms to suit everyone, for now.

Spoiler:

It seems democracy kicked in and I'm asked to step down in a few days. As a last order, I ordered the goose room built and shut the door tight to keep my fellow dwarves from stealing their eggs. I hope they will breed soon, as it would give us a steady supply of meat and bones. Until then we're stuck with eating plants and whatever the wilds give us.

It has been quite the eventful year and I cannot believe I haven't been picked as a leader again. I guess my fellow dwarves really don't like the name of this fortress.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    Awesomeness!!
    I wanna play the game too (though I would have to singleplay a bit before joining the group of overseers).
    Can I please have the link to this less ugly texture you use? The letter based original seems too much to me...
    ~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    Scowling all the way, I was ushered into what was to be my new office. I did not know why I had been chosen as the next overseer, pulled from my simple mining work which I found easy to focus on, but I had been shouted at by countless dwarves until I agreed.
    Mines of Doom? Hah! Doom of Mine, at any rate.

Spoiler:
    imageThe caverns underneath seem quite extensive.

I was certain I was one of the least capable of dwarves to lead these folk.
    Nevertheless, there I was. The previous overseer darkly gave me some instructions about symmetry and some other things. I didn't fully understand his speech, but I caught that he was not happy about being voted out in favour of myself. I wasn't happy either.
    He seemed a capable fellow, though, so I assigned him to the three vacant posts of Militia commander, Sherrif, and Hammerer.
    He gave me the foulest of looks before he departed, muttering something I'm sure was intended to insult my intelligence. I didn't blame him.

Soon afterwards I received demands for offices, dining rooms, and barracks.
    The prospect seemed simple enough, and in trusting the previous overseer had taken care of the menial requirements of the other dwarves, I set myself back to digging.
    Spoiler:
    imageDigging? Digging I can do.

Migrants arrive! Filthy new flesh to order around. I only perceive them as a bother. I hope they don't demand too much.

Spoiler:
    imageAnd the first thing they do is murder our beautiful Keas and vomit over their corpses. I wish I had some horrible task I could assign them as punishment. Or perhaps this is the new sherrif's revenge.

A birth! Might this be the first birth of the fortress? Oh dear, now we'll have useless babies littering about the place.
    Not to mention these folks give birth in the strangest place.
    Spoiler:
    imageIn the doorway to the stairwell? Have some dignity, Avuz!

I barely manage to stop talking before another one arrives as if to spite me.
    Spoiler:

I don't know where the previous overseer intended for dining rooms, armoury, and stone stockpiles to go, but-
    Spoiler:
    imageOH IDRATH WHAT IS THAT

Oh shit.

I have no clue what to do no-
    Spoiler:
    imageOnly one casualty? Too good to be true.

Oh, he transformed into a human.
    That solves that then.
    Right?

As I was saying… dining room.
    Spoiler:
    imageThat bit on the right. Looks horrible, really.

And I made a start on a crypt..
    Spoiler:
    imageCryyyypt!

Time passes as I struggle to get the dwarves to do what I want, and more migrants appear to stir things up.
    I suppose they'll be wanting beds also.
    We are now at 50 citizens.

One of the migrants appears to be an adequate diagnostician, so I make him the chief medical dwarf. I hope he knows what that means, because I sure don't.

There's rock everywhere. I don't know why it isn't being moved into the stockpiles. I'm not going to complain though. I don't want trouble.

A human caravan arrives at the wrong side of the river and blames us for it, leaving immediately as kobold archers attack the wood gatherers
    Spoiler:
    imageWhen I asked the militia commander what to do, he simply scoffed and walked away.

It seemed to blow over without event. But then!
    Spoiler:
    imageI'm not prepared for this.

'Luckily' he was quickly taken care of by the sheriff and his dogs
    Spoiler:
    imageWhat a mess

And then more migrants arrive!
    I am considering consulting a therapist….

Spoiler:
    imageThat's a lot of goslings.. I wonder if I was supposed to do anything with those.

As the year drags on, I become less and less certain of my actions. Winter is upon us now. Soon I will be replaced, and I can only hope that my successor will be more successful than I.
    I'll be happy when I can get back to plain, simple mining again…

Spoiler:
    imageOh, also, there was this little massacre thing at the end of the year. Uh, good luck with that.

[Vote Psi for Overseer 254!]
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    Well, I think I might like to be the next Overseer.
    Don't be surprised if all the dwarfs die under my watch though... I am still a beginner.
    ~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    I think this a great idea. Even if you manage to blow up the fortress it will be a valuable learning-experience. And if the damage is too great we'll just roll back to an earlier save.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    Ye got my vote.
    Mish for Overseer 254!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    edited December 2013 Posts: 203
    Can you send the file to Mish then?

Also, no vote-switching!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    My previous vote was void due to the relevant party apparently having retreated from the ballots, so I had to vote anew.
    You can right-click the dropbox file and acquire a shareable dropbox download link quite easily, actually. Though maybe we should throw it in a .zip first.
    Mish, when you're ready, poke whichever one of us is online and we'll do just that.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    When I first arived at the foress I was shocked. Gno', this is one small fort!
    But, I was too soon to speak. As I wen down the stairs the place just kept stretching sideways, reaching a stagering size. Time to explore and find all the things that should be done!
    I should start with looking for the dwarfs that don't work.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    hmmm
    strange, there is alot of caves below, and they look scary, and might contain monster.
    /me orders to make a tunnel that would make the river fill the demn place.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    Migrants coming! they seem friendly enough....
    Wait a sec. why are they not working? GET TO WORK YOU PIECES OF RHINO SHIT
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    it is now summer. and they are all throwing tantariums. and ther are goblins...
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    Fortunately it is autumn and they have stopped doing that. Also- we are rich with gold and platinum. Like- real rich. there are tons of those metals right under our feet. We are digging as much as possible.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    ThijnThijn Lord
    Please use the edit button
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    Better yet, just save a draft in which you edit all your adventures, with screenshots, which you don't post until you're done with the whole thing :3