Minelord

Anyone familiar with the Construct 2 game engine?

https://www.scirra.com/construct2/releases/r139 Anyone? To me it looks like a gamers skin over …
DavidSlainDavidSlain Lord
edited July 2013 in Others Posts: 416
https://www.scirra.com/construct2/releases/r139

Anyone? To me it looks like a gamers skin over visual basic. I have a friend that's working on a top-down sneak around game a-la syphon filter, etc- with an old school NES flair. Any advice?

mcDesc

Comments

• Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    Could be fun to do but it looks like you can't do much without buying a license!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    OrpheusOrpheus Lord
    Construct 2 is a VERY limited engine, it's a shame really, I would recommend something like Unity which is quick to learn and a million tutorials, or XNA for the same reason; quick to learn, and a million tutorials
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    RhindonRhindon Player
    Windy: Actually, you can still do a LOT without a license. :) Certainly a lot when it comes to a 2D engine, and it's constantly growing.

Orpheus: Ashley, part of the "Scirra Bros" (I gave them that unofficial name lol), purposely "limits" the engine in order to keep things manageable and easy to grasp for novice developers. To be sure, the editor is growing and has had many new additions in the last four months alone.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    RhindonRhindon Player
    The main gist of my problem here is that I'm trying to set up enemy behavior akin to those of the enemies in the Metal Gear (Solid) and Splinter Cell games. The enemies have their areas of patrol, can become alert to out-of-the-ordinary sounds, and engage in a chase, then look around bewildered if they lose the chase and then return to their patrols.

All enemy types will have the same basic behaviors, while additional instructions added per type of enemy and if other conditions get their attention but not exactly identify the player (like stepping in a puddle).
    The basic flow of instructions will work like this:

IF StatusType = "Patrol"
    THEN Patrol path between [these] points

IF LineOfSight conditions = True
    THEN Chase player

IF LineOfSight conditions WERE true and current StatusType is Chase
    THEN Enemy will stop, look around, and randomly search in a radius from it's current position at time of loss of sight.

IF SearchTime = 0
    THEN Enemy will seek out nearest patrol point (invisible during gameplay) and resume patrols.

The problem I'm having is isolated to particulars in how Construct 2 - the game editor I'm using - has its instructions set up. For instance, I have instances of an enemy, thus I use a For Each (instance of) loop condition event and give it the following actions to carry out when the condition is true.

The problem is that with the loops, the editor doesn't like it when I use the trigger events - that is, at the very moment something is true - inside the loop. The particular trigger event is "When a path has been found", which sets up actions to take when a path from A to B has been calculated.

So what I need is a work-around solution. If anyone is familiar with how Construct 2 works specifically, I can provide the file for review. Thanks.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    So is the problem that the editor doesn't let you trigger events within loops?
    If so, it sounds like an issue to raise with the Scirra Bros.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone here has used Construct 2 before.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    RhindonRhindon Player
    Windy: *nods* Yeah, I planned to do that last night but was too sleepy. LOL I'll do that later. Thanks all the same.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    OrpheusOrpheus Lord
    It seems to me events like that are more easily scripted with the use of nodes;
    The basic premise of course being that they follow a set route, an event is triggered, the node path is paused; a new node path is created towards the origin of the trigger(the sound/footprints) and then after a set time the NPC would lose interest, turn around and return to the original node where he branched from.

Alas as Windy said, I doubt anyone here has used Construct 2 before, atleast to a level at which they would be able to help.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    edited July 2013 Posts: 1,110
    @Rhindon: It's a shame we can't help with Construct 2 specific things, but do feel free to ask general coding questions!

@Orpheus's idea of dealing with NPCs sounds like a good way.