Minelord

A new world idea - Block restrictions and Towny

tl;dr Make a new world with Towny where you can't dig up dirt. (and other blocks) We've tried to…
WindyWindy Lord
edited May 2013 in Pristine Posts: 1,110
tl;dr Make a new world with Towny where you can't dig up dirt. (and other blocks)

We've tried to create new world on the past and our plans have been good. We built up stories around ideas, worked on world designs and had many prototype designs in flat world. Our ideas were always a slight bit too grand though and we have never gone far enough beyond the planning stage.

@Daemon had an awesome idea on IRC last night about forcing people to build around landscapes. Apparently in Iceland the natives believe rocks to be inhabited by little fairies and therefore avoid moving or breaking rocks when building their homes.

I think we could adapt this by creating a world where the mining of certain blocks are not allowed. We could make a list of blocks here, starting with dirt.

A story could be built around these restrictions. An example could be:

@Windy:
On the first day, the great Whaleman erected the seas and hills of Tarr. On the second day, she created the Minelords and was delighted as they sang and worshipped her. At night time, the Whaleman was weary and lay down into the deep seas to slumber.

When she awoke, something seemed wrong. The seas were murky, and the air was so dense that the sun had been obscured. The bewildered Whaleman stumbled onto the shore and attempted to find the Minelords who she had created as keeper of the lands.

None remembered the Whaleman and as she approached their settlements, they pelted her with iron arrows and javelins, shouting in a coarse and rude language. The Whaleman was greatly grieved by the turn of events. As she roamed over Tarr, her grief deepened. The trees were dying, the wild animals were gone, and the streambeds were dry.

Furious, the Whaleman strode into the Minelords' settlements and started to flatten out their abominable creations. Tears fell from her eyes as she destroyed her beloved creations. When they were drawn out of their homes, the Minelords finally took notice of the defiled woodlands and the dreadful fury of their creator.

As the Whaleman saw the fear in their eyes, she faltered. Taking a step back, she saw the damage she had wrought and wept.

The Whaleman restored Tarr as it was in the beginning and said to the Minelords:

"This world, I restore for you and assign to your keeping yet again. You will not defile it again while I slumber in my weariness. Await my return at the end of days."

From then on the Minelords lost their ability to use a shovel or something.
@Daemon:
However the whaleman’s purge was not absolute. Some remnants of the diseased world still remain and they continue to haunt the Minelords to this day.

Monsters roam the land, twisted mutations of their former selves and, very rarely, entire areas of the disease can still be found. In these places, the ground is rotten and corrupted. No plant life grows and giant fungi dominate the landscape. Here even the wildlife has fallen to the taint. Red and white abominations walk the land with those fell mushrooms upon their backs.
We could add in Towny for fun.
Edited
by Windy

Comments

• Vote Up1
    Voters
    Windy
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    How about being unable to mine the moss stone? As it is not place-able.
    Lets have as "Stone with invincible goo, where the goo went and spread far throughout the world", and the main block in the world will be this. Maybe most blocks under -25 sea lvl. That way you can't trap people, and it looks like stone anyway. BTW, I think dirt should be dig-able.
    ~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    1. you can place mossy cobblestone
    2. digging dirt defeats the object of the world, that being, you need to change how you build to incorporate the landscape because you can't change the landscape
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    We could make mossy cobble un-mineable. That might make sense in some ways, saying it's so ancient it won't budge... (?)

But making dirt un-diggable is kind of the whole point of this.
  • Vote Up1
    Voters
    Windy
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    More lore! \o/
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    edited May 2013 Posts: 1,110
    From some discussions on the IRC:

We may want to discuss

• Economy - One currency to rule them all. Gold nuggets sold to server for Towny-compatible money.

• Start - Everyone starts with nothing and anyone can start a town if they have sufficient money.

• World Borders? - Limit the map size?

Edit: That's some genius stuff that you added @Daemon!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    If we can't move dirt, how do we dig? Just.. kind of hope to find a cave to drop into? I'm assuming we can still mine stone, otherwise howfaduq do we gather iron
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    Caves and stone mining should allow us to dig downwards, I think.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    Yeah, Glun. The idea behind not digging dirt is so people have to build around the landscape rather than shape it to fit their builds. So stone is still mineable but you'd have to find surface stone or a cave.

So I guess a world border wouldn't be a good idea because this encourages exploration to find the things you need. But that's my opinion so feel free to argue. ;)
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    I'm thinking of massive borders so it doesn't impede exploration but does keep us in acceptable distances. Maybe 5000 block radius or something?
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    edited May 2013 Posts: 461
    All sounds good to me. 5000 block radius might be a little excessive though. People are liable to become lazy, after all.
    Then again, 2000 blocks does sound too close...
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    Hmm our survival world seems to be about 2000.
    http://minelord.com/map/survival?zoom=1

2000 might not be a bad limit.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    GlunnatorGlunnator Lord
    Blimey, 2000 blocks is a further distance than it sounds.
    Well, I suppose that makes sense then.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    edited May 2013 Posts: 1,110
    Friends from old Windgalia: @DaniGold, @Yonatan7, @Ronilog, and @ParkourGrip,

what do you guys think and do you want to come and join us? :)

PS. Current active members like @RetardedUsername, @Mesmeratio, and @Fwiller should check this out too!!
  • Vote Up1
    Voters
    Windy
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    edited May 2013 Posts: 414
    Sounds good to me! As long as we start at summer I will sure check it out!
    A 2000 block limit sounds good too. Maybe a tiny bit bigger, say 2500.
    Edit:
    an example spawn has been made, and it is free to change, though if the concept is different make another one.
    warp: spawnexample
    Edited
    by Mish
    ~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    Could we have some set terrain? Like Azhendale? I liked that place a lot, maybe if some code to respawn ores inside mines, people then wouldn't need to leave the beautiful zones. Maybe that could be configured to respawn at different times so that the economy wouldn't screw up.
    Lacks ninja skills
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    Hmm the reason we probably won't want terraforming like Azhendale is because we tried planning worlds like that before. Palven was a pretty big project we never finished. We had skins, cities, buildings, airships, worlds and more designed.

The idea with this world is that it's very simple and requires almost no effort to create, but is still interesting enough for us to have fun in.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    edited May 2013 Posts: 251
    If towns aren't safe from explosions, will we be able to destroy blocks with tools or will it just be explosions?

Might be fun if we can't destroy/place blocks in other towns then people could build siege weapons to break down walls :D

Edit: will we be able to capture other towns?
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    With Towny, it can be done so that explosions work but not block breaking. (When you're not part of the town that is)

I'm not sure about capturing towns and am not sure what that would achieve!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    Go....Bottle!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    Well what will sieging achieve if there is no prize?