Minelord

Replace Tekkit with FTB

Hello everyone, yesterday night we discussed about the possiblitiy to switch from Tekkit to FTB,…
PsiPsi Lord
edited December 2012 in Minecraft Server Posts: 158
Hello everyone,

yesterday night we discussed about the possiblitiy to switch from Tekkit to FTB, now you probably ask yourself,

Why?
FTB is a modpack, much like Tekkit, but... better. It comes with more mods, which means we have more possible things to do, and with that more possible content (like Portal guns, Mystcraft[to create your own worlds], and lots of other stuff). Also it comes with the much more recent MC 1.4.2, with testing for 1.4.6 are being done (Tekkit still comes with 1.2.5).
So, what's the

Downsides?
The only big thing it hasn't, what Tekkit has, is Redpower, which allowed us to build more fancy stuff, by cutting blocks in half, etc.
Switching to Feed-The-Beast would also mean, that we would have to start a new world, and we would lose our progress in Tekkit and need to start again, since it is not possible to run Vanilla MC, Tekkit AND FTB (just two are available).

My thoughts
For me the new stuff outweights the stuff we lose. So my vote would be to make this happen.
Edited
by Psi

Comments

• Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    Tekkit does seem to be rather out of date, and this may be more exciting.

Do note that we shouldn't update to every cool thing we find, mainly because of maintenance issues, but also because there are issues like losing old worlds and such with every change.

Also, I find it's often the community and added stories which makes things fun, not a few extra added blocks.

Speaking of old world's, the cool builds in the old Tekkit world should start getting worldedit-copied over to flatworld soon!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    PsiPsi Lord
    Oh, I forgot to mention that FTB comes with MC 1.4.2, which is quite recent, and they are already betatesting 1.4.6. Gonna add it to the post.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    I think FTB is good because it seems to keep up to date which Tekkit, by no means did. So I think updating to FTB and then sticking with it would be a good idea.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MesmeratioMesmeratio Lord
    I tried a bit of FTB yesterday and researched it quite thoroughly, and I vote in favor of FTB. The new mods are really nice stuff that add a lot of adventure (new bosses!), and the fact FTB is a more recent minecraft (as Psi added), and gets official support of the modders makes it all the more fun.

Also, I should add that FTB is planning to add Redpower, EE3 and Secret rooms in the future (about a month or so), so this really shouldn't be an issue in the long term.
    Hail @Windy for the FTB server. If disagree, ice titans.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    Redpower: Yay! :D

EE3: Uh oh, not this again XD

Secret rooms: Ooh, sounds intriguing.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    edited December 2012 Posts: 203
    @Daemon We should give EE3 a good testing before we consider it again. The creator did say he completely changed the mod into something more balanced. We should give it all a try in offline mode and see if it's any good.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    edited December 2012 Posts: 251
    @Mesmeratio I do like the sound of piping EMC. That sounds useful.

And I guess if it is EQUIVALENT Exchange, not 'exchange nothing for free stuff' then it should be fine.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    Do make sure absolutely everyone agrees! (that includes David, Glun, and Lumi!)
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    MishMish Lord
    and me! you have almost convinced me yet i think there is this problem i didn't understand the difference and how hard did people work on tekkit until now.
    Yet if most people have voted yes count me in for a yes too!
    ~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~~~~B~~~~BRAINZZ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~M~~~~~~Must~~~~~~~Eat~~~~
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    WindyWindy Lord
    Sorry, I didn't know you were active in Tekkit
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    PsiPsi Lord
    Lumi said yes too (she isn't using the forums at all, as you might have noticed).
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    FlavorFlavor Lord
    While I don't play Tekkit at all (I did a few times in the past), I think the change would be for the better. Hopefully FTB will be updated soon with all the mods Mesmeratio mentioned above!
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DavidSlainDavidSlain Lord
    Considering that this was my first foray into the tekkit-verse, I defer my decisions to the more experienced heads among us. It seems, though, that this has everything that I loved about tekkit within it, and I would love the chance to not be such a big screw-up this time around.

It also seems there are MORE mods here, which means more possible diversity in the tasks each of us have if we cooperate.
    mcDesc
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    edited December 2012 Posts: 203
    @Glunnator said he gave his vote to me, so consider him in. Also, if you prefer to hear him out yourself, wait some more, but I'm fairly certain I got him at *least* intrigued in FTB (especially Mystcraft/Thaumcraft/Twilight forest/Secret rooms).

Edit: Also, @Davidslain, if someone proved himself remarkably resourceful in a week of Tekkit, it is you. Don't worry.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DavidSlainDavidSlain Lord
    Thank you for assuaging my fears, Mesmer. Let us step forward (again) into a brave new world!
    mcDesc
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    PsiPsi Lord
    It seems that soon RedPower 2 is being released and with that a new version of FTB will come. We might want to wait for this, since RedPower adds quite some worldgeneration, which we then need. So if we were to start now, we'd have to explore new areas to get the RedPower stuff, when the patch arrives.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    We should probably decide which mods we want active on this server.
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    moomoohkmoomoohk Lord
    +1 FTB
    I'll be a tie breaker vote I guess since I'm content with anything really.
    o boi i luv segnatshures

[03:35am] Minelord: [g] Sir Mish: what are biggie smalls
    -
    [00:55:56] <Mish> she ain't hot
    [00:56:02] <Mish> just cleevage
    -
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    Redpower has been released and I believe there is talk of an updated FTB. Am not sure as I am away from a computer to do research on this. Also, mods like Thaumcraft make changes to the landscape as well. What should we do about this?
  • Vote Up0
    Voters
    Vote Down
    DaemonDaemon Lord
    Thaumcraft 3 is in FTB already, just not in the current beta. I think we should have it and I think my attention has turned from redpower to it. I love it's new, experimental nature whereas before it was a tedious farm for artifacts to gamble on research.